Sunday, March 13

a lovely vintage?

Today, Dear Mother and I went over to Sassy Grandma's house to help her organize a few of her kitchen cabinets. 

I've gained a bit of a reputation in my family for being the "purger and organizer" since I've attacked Dear Mother's closet and cabinets, as well as helped the Dad purge a few times.  Still, I had a feeling that Sassy Grandma might not be too happy with my organizing style.


The ultimate goal was to make it where she could get to the things she uses easily.  Sassy Grandma is currently using an electric wheelchair in the house-- so it's important that everything she needs is in reach, simple and clear to see, and that we relocate or remove anything she doesn't use on a daily basis.  Any kind of change is very stressful for her, so it was also important to stay positive and choose words carefully. 

The first thing I did was pull everything out of the cabinets.  This was a little tough for her, but I think after we got started and she realized that Dear Mother and I were not going to "purge" anything without her okay. we were able to accomplish quite a bit.

I forgot to take before pictures, but imagine these cabinets full of bake ware and lots of canned goods.  In the end, I think she was pretty happy with the results.  Only time will tell.

If nothing else, I got in some quality time with Sassy and Dear Mother.  In the middle of our purge, while discussing all the different things Sassy Grandma used to bake, the topic of her drunken fruitcake came up.  She mentioned that she had a bottle of "fruitcake wine" hidden in a bag in her fridge.  Better yet, her "fruitcake wine" had not been touched since before my grandfather died, eighteen years ago.   

Meaning that this unremarkable bottle has not only been sequestered in a grocery bag behind the ketchup and barbecue sauce, but it has also been moved between 3 different fridges and two addresses.  How does this happen and neither her daughter or granddaughter know about it?  How many times have I opened her fridge for a soda, and bypassed this shrouded family mystery?  What else is Sassy hiding?

Sassy Grandma and her "vintage" Maneshewitz
Dear Mother was insistent that we at least see the wine.  Sassy nearly dared Dear Mother and I to try it.  How could I resist her challenge? 
.
.
.

So... let it be known, if I happen to die suddenly-- I did take a sip of Maneshewitz
[from a bag in my Grandmother's fridge]
that is old enough to vote.

Cheers?

2 comments:

Crystal said...

This is beyond awesome. Yayyyyy for your sassy granny ;)

Eva said...

You know she's about as cray as you and KC! I need to see you guys.. that other building is just tooooo faaaarrrrrr!!