No-- just me, then? -sighs-
Okay, let me clarify. Maybe sale-ing is the better spelling in this context. Because truthfully the scene was more like this: surprisingly chilly Saturday morning, Samantha the GPS guiding the way, a Hardee's biscuit for the road, and a gaggle of bargain-hungry shoppers milling about in a stranger's yard. In the South, the first semi-warm weekend signals the start of Yard Sale season.
I had initially planned on going to a friend's sale, and a large community sale a few Saturday's ago. I hit both and made a few stops along the way. One of the most memorable sales was at what I will lovingly call a McMansion. It was in a wealthy neighborhood between Auburn and Opelika. You could hardly find a place to park along the road. I would estimate that there were probably 40 to 50 people there, at least. It was madness!!
It was a moving sale and people were clamoring from room to room to find a deal and guard their piles of steals. For me, I found a few things-- a book I've been wanting, an interesting notebook, and a funny surprise for a friend of mine. I wish I had thought to take pictures of this sale. It was a little overwhelming to say the least.
Then I ventured to the NIE (Newspapers in Education) yardsale that was hosted by our local newspaper. I didn't find anything huge (I know the Man was happy about that!)-- but I did score some great deals on some fun home decor stuff:
- two mini mirrors that would be cute in a gallery wall (or maybe as coasters?)
- a bag of faux apples (for $1!!) that I think will be perfect for an early fall mantle
- a bag of decorative orbs in green (also for $1!) that are going in my IKEA hurricane for now
- another basket-- addicted, can't help it
- a few books
- an awesome HUGE grapevine wreath (not pictured, it's still in the car)
- my lovely pink peony wreath-- it needs a little love, but I can't help but smile when I see it
- two urn planters (also still in the car) that need some serious TLC but have tons of potential
|How do you like them apples? er..those apples?|
Well.. at least until March 26th when my friend Casi is hosting a sale to raise money for a Breast Cancer walk. It's supposed to be at TAGS Gift shop (in the Valley, I think) from 5:30am-2:00pm.
Yeah, I doubt I'll be an early bird for that one. Maybe I'll see you there? How does noonish sound?