Friday, April 2

prepping for demo, reno and egg-os?

Today is one of those days where I have so much on my mind and to-do list that even I, the girl addicted to post-it notes, calendars, and highlighters, don't even feel organized. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the reason why our low-key Easter weekend just got quite a bit busier-- but without some organization and a good task list, I feel like it could get really chaotic, really quick.

Here are a few of the things going on this weekend:
+ Goodwill trip today
+ finish making Easter baskets
+ dying eggs with the Man's family on Saturday
+ Easter Lunch with the Man's family on Sunday
+ Complete homework for class on Tuesday
+ Make notes for meeting with head of Grad program on Monday

+ Clean, mini-move and prep for DEMO of KITCHEN WALL!!!


Yup, you read it right. What went from brainstorming and price quoting of the kitchen wall demo went to tearing out walls on Monday! If you haven't realized yet, when this nerdy couple decides to do something-- things tend to happen pretty fast, even if that wasn't what we expected.

As part of our quote for the demo, we had planned on removing the upper and lower cabinets from the walls in the kitchen to make life easier for the guys helping us. Sadly, we don't have the money to replace the cabinets just yet (but I have other things in mind.) In the meantime, we are going to try and preserve what we can. This means carefully removing the cabinets from the walls, storing them in another part of the house and then re-installing the lower cabinets. The upper cabinets will be the focal point of a project in the future-- if they survive the demo.Also keep in mind that by removing the wall between our kitchen and great room, the great room will also pretty much need to be emptied. Thankfully, Dear Mother has allowed me to borrow some of her storage containers. (She's decided to organize her home a few times over the past few months and had a bevy of containers on call. I bartered some of my OCD skills and physical labor for her organization project as a trade for the use of her containers for a week or two.)

Right now the plan is to empty out all of the cabinets in the kitchen, pack away the bookcases in the great room, and buy a few plastic tarps to cover furniture while the demo is in progress. We're moving our little TV into the bedroom along with the Man's console to keep it as far from debris and dust as possible and to grant his wish of having a television in the bedroom-- if only temporarily.

Along with all of this-- we need to repair the office door latch, which currently refuses to close,so that the furbabies can remain safe and sound in their "room" while everyone is going in and out of the house.

And we need to tidy the garage to make room for storing supplies for the reno. Oh, and one of my best friends from college is going to be in town and staying with us prior to flying out to NYC for his spring vacation.
Sorry Eric, I had hoped to be a clean, organized and suitable host. Instead, I can only lovingly welcome you into our chaos. It'll be just like your apartment in MoTown. :)

Everything else going on this weekend should be pretty fun. I'm excited to see the new Goodwill, even if I don't have a lot of time to peruse. The Easter baskets seem to be coming together-- I worked on them some this morning and just have one more bow left to tie and then assemble all the goodies, and maybe make some cute tags.

Easter with the Man's family is also a nice tradition. I remember being surprised last year when we got together to dye eggs especially since the Man is 27 and his sister is 19. However, it was a lot of fun and something that, although I remember doing when I was little, I haven't done in years. I'm just hoping the weather will be nice and we won't be stressed from all the work that needs to be done in our nest so we can really enjoy a pretty afternoon with family. Besides, it's always funny to see how the Man decides to decorate his eggs... for some reason glitter and pastels just don't seem to fit.

The schoolwork is just a fact of life being a graduate student. I'm hoping that my meeting on Monday will offer some clarification and help me plan for some upcoming events.

So here's to a happy and hopping Easter weekend in the nerdy nest...I know.. Hopping... I couldn't resist.

No comments: